Thursday, November 17, 2011

Courage the Cowardly Cathy

So I had James completely down for a Glee marathon, but when I turned the TV on I saw that one of my all time favorite moves was on: The Princess Diaries! I don’t know why I love this movie so much… I am not sure if it’s because it’s produced by Disney, or because of its “rags to riches” theme, or because I would have Anne Hathaway’s babies. Regardless, I love it and always have. I have seen it a million times, so I was surprised when I picked up a quote from the movie that I had never noticed before.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."
That quote really hit home tonight. Lately my self esteem has been at an all time low, and I really have been lacking any type of motivation at all. I feel just like Mia in the movie. Sometimes I wanna stop in the street on the way to class and yell, "Just in case I wasn't enough of a freak already, let's add a tiara!" I have always been afraid of failure, and I think it’s high time that I pull myself up out of the rut I’ve been stuck in and give life my all. Courage is something that runs in my family, and I am not willing to let that end with me. I have always been afraid to try new things or change my daily routine… Well, that changes today. From now on I am going to make a conscious effort to do things that would normally hold me back. I am going to order things that sound completely gross and foreign. I am going to stop being a carb Nazi and opt to have dessert every once in a while, literally and figuratively. I am young and I don’t want to look back on my early 20s and think, “Man I wish I had tried that squid scampi.” I’m going to encourage others to be more spontaneous as well. So what if we get food poisoning from the sketchy cafĂ© on Cary Street in Richmond? At least we can say we ate there! In 20 years I plan on being able to say I’ve done a lot of things.
Thank you for that, Mia Thermopolis.


No comments:

Post a Comment