Friday, February 15, 2013

In Honor of Valentine's Day- 7 Things I Love


Whether you refer to it as Valentine’s Day, the Day of Love, or Single Awareness Day, February 14th is back again. So many people are so negative about Valentine’s Day! “It’s commercialized!” “You should show your loved one you love them every day!” “You shouldn’t be pressured into showing affection!” Blah, blah, blah. You’re reading WAY too much into this day, people! Today is the day that you get to eat candy guilt-free while others show their affection by buying you things. What is so horrible about that?! I think it’s just fine, and to tell you the truth I love this holiday! Today marks mine and James’ 7th Valentine’s Day together, so in order to celebrate I want to share 7 things that make me happy about this holiday:

1. My new Pandora bracelet.


I have seriously wanted one of these bad boys for about 3 years now, and my husband finally obliged. Isn’t it beautiful? I am absolutely in love with it and he had to make me take it off before I got in the shower tonight.

2. How happy this balloon makes Ryan.

 
Ryan absolutely adores balloons, so that's what James and I decided to get him this year for Valentine’s Day. Who needs a gigantic teddy bear when he always has his Mickey Mouse in tow? He’s too young for candy, so we figured, “Hey. What could go wrong with a balloon?” Best parenting decision we have ever made. While we were out to dinner he amused himself for quite some time with this giant heart shaped balloon!

3. The guy who invented Ferris Wheels.


You know how everyone has “a thing”? Well my thing is Ferris Wheels. They are my favorite thing in the world and I almost did a carnival theme in Ryan’s nursery just so I could paint one on the wall. February 14th is not just Valentine’s Day, guys. It’s George Ferris’s birthday! This guy is one of my all-time heroes and if it weren’t for him James would have never got on one knee and asked me to marry him on one of the biggest Ferris Wheels on the East coast. Happy Birthday, George! Thanks for your awesome invention!

4. This Valentine’s Day themed picture of Ryan.



I mean seriously.

5. Chocolate covered strawberries.


Every year on Valentine’s Day, I make James a big plate of chocolate covered strawberries and we eat them together while we cuddle. This year I layed on his chest and we ate them… We didn’t talk. The room was quiet and the house was still. I was laying on his chest and could feel it rising and falling with each breath he took. Everything was so silent and calm, and it was just… nice.

6. My Justin Bieber valentine.


My cooperating teacher at Patrick Henry gave me a valentine with a picture of the Biebs on it! It said, “Never Say Never”, and I got this strange/overwhelming sense of empowerment while I was holding it. Is that weird? I had a really crappy morning, so it really turned my frown upside down!

7. My little family.



My two favorite men in the world, James and Ryan, are my everything. On this "day of love", I am reminded of how lucky I truly am. I stopped by Walmart on the way home from work today and chatted up the cashier while she was ringing up the box of chocolates I was purchasing... I said, "Well, I have to get home to spend Valentine's Day with my husband." The old woman paused, bit her bottom lip for a second and then replied, "It's nice to have a husband, huh?" BAM. She smacked me right across the head with the Humility Stick. I am so grateful for having a husband who packs my lunch at night and a son who basks in unbridled happiness. I am very fortunate and I love my life and the people in it, which is great, because I'm pretty sure that's what Valentine's Day is all about!


No comments:

Post a Comment